Monday, September 13, 2010

a piece of cake


Every non-scheduled Saturday morning this summer we have spent strolling the Edmonds Farmer’s Market; Liam strapped to Phil’s chest in the carrier and waving to everyone we pass.  This weekend was no exception.  I sipped my pumpkin spice latte and filled my canvas bag so full of organic veggies that it dug into my arm.  To counter all that healthiness we were sure to stop by the booth that makes fresh mini doughnuts.  This was a great way to start a day of baking inspiration.
In preparation for an “Under the Sea” themed double baby shower I was throwing on Sunday, I whipped up a batch of cupcakes and had way too much fun with my frosting piping set!  Fish-delish!
Couldn't help but hum the Little Mermaid soundtrack as I worked!

That evening was a birthday party for my cousin Stew to commemorate him surviving a quarter-century.  I decided to go all out and bake him a 4-layer cake with alternating layers of carrot and devil’s food chocolate.  I’m not much of a rule-follower so I can’t resist messing with recipes.  So, for the carrot I went beyond the usual cinnamon and vanilla and threw in some ground ginger, almond extract and a touch of cocoa powder, just to give it harmony with the chocolate layers it would reside next to.   I frosted the whole thing in a cream cheese icing and covered it in orange polka dots.  I wish I would have thought to take a photo before it was devoured.  Instead, I will post a poem written for me by Stew’s roommate in praise of my bakery creation:

HANNAH.. in honor of your complete dominance and skill in bakeryism, I have written an acronym out of your glorious name.

H: Hot diggity dog, that was a GooOOOoooD piece of cake!
A: Amazingly talentedesteresterest baker
N: Never before have I tasted perfect perfection of double, almost triple rainbow, but today I did.
N: No nonsense heavenly carrot/chocolate cake, aka carocolate!
A: A+
H: Happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment